I took a trip today to the area known in New Orleans as "Little Vietnam." I'd like to preface this post by saying that after I returned, I was fortunate enough to be able to talk to a coworker of mine(Quynh) that was born and raised in the Versailles apartment complex, in order to get a better picture of life in Little Vietnam. One of the first things that I noticed as I entered the area was that the architecture was not as Oriental as I had expected. Most of the architecture looked no different that other parts of the city, except for some signs above stores written in Vietnamese and similar things. I didn't go inside any buildings there, but Quynh told me later that this is the case most of the time regarding the exteriors of buildings. The interiors are much more ethnic I was told. This points to the idea that most of these buildings were probably not built by the Vietnamese upon immigration, but were simply repurposed to fit the tastes of the immigrants. I wen...
Comments
Post a Comment